New Mandarin Phrase: In My Opinion

Posted by Charlie @ Discovering Mandarin Sunday 27 December 2009
Yesterday I muttered 'à mon avis' from the small amount of French I know; meaning in my opinion. (I must admit to being quite bad at French, so apologies here.) So I was thinking, about how to say 'In My Opinion' in Mandarin.

MDBG suggests:

在我看来
zài​ wǒ ​kàn ​lái​

But I know from both the French & English, there are many ways to say this.

selon moi and d'après moi

or in English variations include:

"In my opinion", "In my view", "As I see it", "I believe that", "To my mind" etc.

So on Twitter I posted the Question. So far I have had several responses, it was interesting to see how different they all were.

So here are the suggestions I have had, below with Hanzi and Hanyu Pinyin:

我觉得
wǒ juéde

我认为
wǒ rènwéi

我的观点是
wǒ de guāndiǎn shì

我的看法是
wǒ de kànfǎ shì

对我来说
duì ​wǒ ​lái ​shuō​
(as far as I'm concerned)

我以为
wǒ yǐwéi
I (originally) thought - (but it turns out I was wrong.)

I would love to hear the ways in which you say 'In my opinion' and if there are required situations for each of the above...
-------------------------------
If you liked this please share to: |facebook |delicious|
--------------------------------------------------

7 comments

  1. Lynn Says:
  2. Sometimes we add "個人" after 我...
    haha...then they will become "我個人覺得","我個人認為","我個人的觀點是", etc.

     
  3. Unknown Says:
  4. often 我以为..... seems to be used when you discover you were mistaken "I originally thought ...."

    I guess 对我来说 could also be added.

     
  5. Ivone Says:
  6. Hello,

    My name is Ivone and I would like to ask you to join our affiliates program. Could you please give me an e-mail account where I can write to you?

    Thank you very much,

    Ivone

     
  7. Jenny,

    Thanks for letting me know about 個人/ 个人 (gè​ rén​) after 我 (wǒ​).

    Is this the more natural way for the phrase to be said?

     
  8. Chris,

    I had missed the subtle change of meaning with 我以为 wǒ yǐwéi. I have changed it above and added your other suggestion.

    Thanks

     
  9. Ivone,

    Feel free to send me more info at

    discoveringmandarin@gmail.com

    I haven't been hosting any ads as of yet.

     
  10. Ivone Says:
  11. Charlie,
    Thank you very much.
    I will write to you very soon.
    Happy New Year!
    Ivone

     

Discovering Mandarin via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Blogumulus by Roy Tanck and Amanda FazaniInstalled by CahayaBiru.com

Popular Posts

About Me

My Photo
Charlie @ Discovering Mandarin
View my complete profile