Daily Chinese Proverb: Superhuman

Posted by Charlie @ Discovering Mandarin Monday 9 November 2009
This Chinese proverb when broken down literally means 'three heads and six arms'. It is metaphorical of being above the ability of a normal man. I think this can be used in situations where someone does something so far beyond what was expected of them that it was a 'superhuman' effort.

三头六臂
sān tóu liù bì
Superhuman


Incidentally I think that Greg has made a superhuman effort with his Heisig learning.


Photo Source: DamnDigital
-------------------------------
If you liked this please share to: |facebook |delicious|
--------------------------------------------------

4 comments

  1. Greg Says:
  2. Charlie, thanks for the reference. Superhuman, eh? I didn't feel so superhuman this morning, thinking about the word 'diligent', and being unable to recall the character 勤.

    OK, so I don't have 100% hanzi recall, but at least I can pick up cars and look through walls :-)

     
  3. I have to say that I have hit about 200 and slowed realising some of it hadn't completely sunk in and having to go back and re-learn even though I recognise them and know the story, can't always get back the keyword.

     
  4. Greg Says:
  5. Charlie, what I have found is as follows ... I need to treat learning the story of a new character the same way as I treat learning a new word through flashcards.

    If I learn the story on day 1, then I should revise that story each day for the next couple of days, then a week later again, etc.

    Forgetting & re-learning is part of the process - and if you have time commitments then just learn fewer new characters a day to allow yourself time to revise the last 2-3 days' stories too.

    Hope that helps!

     
  6. Thanks Greg. I have been finding time an incredibly precious commodity very recently as I think it shows through the blog.

    I have so much I want to write about and so little time to do so.

    What you are saying is true though, I definaley need to revise the last couple of days more often.

    :)

     

Discovering Mandarin via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Blogumulus by Roy Tanck and Amanda FazaniInstalled by CahayaBiru.com

Popular Posts

About Me

My Photo
Charlie @ Discovering Mandarin
View my complete profile