Charlie @ Discovering Mandarin
Friday, 21 August 2009
Firecracker Beef w/Rice Noodle Salad
This recipe includes double cooking Beef skirt steak. It is to be served on a tangy cold noodle salad. A great mix of flavours ranging between the cold and the hot, and the sweet and the sour, and the spicy and the salty. The cut of Beef is vital in keeping the Beef juicy and succulent when cooking twice.
Prep time: 30 mins Cooking Time: 15 mins
You Will Need: 600g Beef Skirt
For Marinade: 1 tsp of soy sauce 2 tbsp of rice vinegar 2 tbsp of chilli garlic sauce (you'll find that in an Asian Store) 1/2 tsp of 5-spice 1/2 tsp of ginger puree or grated ginger 4 cloves of roughly chopped garlic some black pepper to taste 1 tbsp of sesame oil
For Cold Noodle Salad: 400g Rice noodles 2 Carrots shredded 4tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar 2tbsp Fish Sauce 1tbsp Vegetable Oil Chopped Cashew Nuts Chopped Coriander Leaves 2 Spring Onions
1. Cut Beef skirt into four pieces. Marinade Beef adding all ingredients and mix well. Place marinade and Beef in a bag in fridge for 1 hour.
2. Cook rice noodles in boiling water for 3 minutes, rinse with cold water. Drain well to prevent a wet salad.
3. Add 2 tsp of fish sauce, which is a fermented condiment, kind of like soy sauce. We're going to add 1 tbsp of vegetable oil, we're going to add 2 tbsp of rice vinegar, shredded carrot. Mix it up and refrigerate until needed.
4. Take the Beef, and save the marinade. Sear Beef in a flat dry pan for 2-3 minutes on each side until caramelised. Save beef drippings with marinade for later.
5. Leave Beef to cool to room temperature. Now slice the Beef against the grain, the center will still be pink and juicy.
6. We're going to add 2 more tbsp of rice vinegar, chopped cashews, chopped coriander leaves, chopped spring onions and toss together. The salad is ready as a base for this delicious firecracker beef.
7. Preheat the pan well, sear the beef slices for just a minute or two. Caramelize the outside of the beef and the inside is still going to be really juicy and delicious.
8. Add the hot slices back to the drippings and marinade briefly.
9. Serve and top the cold tangy noodle salad with the hot, spicy firecracker beef, maybe a little sprinkle of chopped cashews
As I Serve it:
Enjoy your Firecracker Beef and Cold Rice-Noodle Salad